During this 30-minute phone/Zoom video appointment, Dr. Scott will interview you to determine which lab tests to order for your Case Review, based on your chief complaints and your history.
This appointment has two purposes: to make sure that we have all of the information needed to gain a comprehensive understanding of many of the factors affecting your health and to give you a head start on your treatment before you meet with us.
The exact lab testing ordered as part of the Initial Consult depends on your individual circumstances, but may include:
- A comprehensive blood chemistry panel. This is the single most efficient, effective and affordable tool for quickly evaluating your health. It screens for a wide range of conditions, including several types of anemia; gut, viral and bacterial infections; insulin resistance and hypoglycemia; liver and kidney issues; and thyroid and adrenal problems. It provides a baseline of biomarkers that can be used to objectively track the progress of your treatment over time. It also offers important clues for how to structure and focus your treatment to get the best results.
- Additional blood tests for specific conditions, such as high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, autoimmune disease and gluten sensitivity.
- Advanced stool testing to screen for parasites, fungal overgrowth, bacterial infections, intestinal inflammation, dysbiosis and a deficiency of beneficial gut bacteria.
- Urine hormone testing for adrenal and sex hormone status.
A Patient Care Coordinator will provide you with the Case Review health history paperwork to complete. It is important that you spend time and energy completing these intake forms, as they are vital in helping us understand your case. This paperwork includes:
- A detailed health and medical history questionnaire
- A survey of your chief complaints and most important health goals
- An assessment of your most troubling and frequently experienced symptoms
- A diet survey and questionnaire
- A survey of your current supplements and medications
Finally, the Patient Care Coordinator will provide you with dietary guidelines to follow after your Initial Consultation. Typically, this is a 30-day Paleo elimination (reset) diet with detailed instructions on how to perform.
It is critical that you implement the 30-day reset diet to the best of your ability. When you speak Dr. Scott, your experience with the reset may be as important as any lab findings in guiding the next steps in your care plan.
Once we’ve received your lab results and completed Case Review paperwork, you will move on to Step 2: The Case Review. This typically occurs between 3 to 4 weeks after the Initial Consult, because some of the labs we use can take several weeks to deliver the results to us after receiving your sample. While you wait for your lab results to come back, you will be implementing the 30-day reset diet and making forward progress.